7.11.2010

The Iron King Review


Meghan Chase has always realized something was different in her life. When she was six years old, she watched her father walk into a body of water and then disappear forever from her life. For some reason, her family tends to forget about her and she only has one friend, a guy named Robbie.

Meghan hopes for a great 16th birthday, but instead comes home to her four year old brother not being himself anymore. He’s been replaced with a changeling and her real brother is off in the Nevernever or Faeryland. This is what she is told by her friend Robbie who happens to be Puck from a Midsummer’s Night Dream.

Robbie aka Puck offers to take Meghan to the Nevernever through a closet door so she can search for her brother and bring him home. But along the way they run into goblins, trolls and other supernatural creatures that all see Meghan as an odd specimen in their world. Will Meghan and Puck be able to save her brother or will Meghan lose Puck and get trapped forever in the Nevernever?

The Iron King is the first book in The Iron Fey Series, which is a YA fantasy series by author Julie Kagawa. I wanted to read this book for a long time for numerous reasons.


1. The cover is absolutely gorgeous

2. The summary sounded really interesting

3. EVERYONE was talking about how great this book is

4. There are a ton of fantastic reviews highly recommending this book

5. It was published by Harlequin Teen and I have loved every book I’ve read from them so far

So based on these reasons, my expectations for The Iron King were through the roof. I would classify this book as fantasy and not a paranormal at all. It definitely has that ‘’take you away into another world’’ aspect to it and to me that is pure fantasy. The story starts off with introducing us to Meghan Chase and I had my first déjà vu moment.

A lot of reviewers complain a subject matter is too similar to other books, but I’ve rarely hard that happen to me. But it happened to me with this book. The first book I thought of was Michelle Rowen’s Demon Princess Series. There are a lot of similarities and I kind of felt like, ok I’ve read this already…but then it got really good and I forgot about how similar it was to Michelle Rowen’s book (which is a great book by the way!).

Every scene is so picturesque and I really felt like I was right there with Meghan on her journey to the Nevernever. This was such a cute story and I can see now what everyone was raving about. It’s easy to read, sweet, exciting, imaginative, suspenseful, and just a joy to read.

Sometimes I’ll read a book and I just get this warm feeling in my chest, like contentment, happiness that the book is so good. I had this feeling with Twilight, and now I’ve gotten it with The Iron King. I was so sad for this book to end and can not wait for my next escape into the Nevernever . Overall, I adored reading The Iron King and I will be without a doubt reading The Iron Daughter next!

Thank you Net Galley for providing me with this e- book copy for review!

No comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave a comment so I know you were here!