10.08.2007

Hooked by Jane May Review


I picked up this book Hooked and read it in 2 days. It was a really short fast read. Here's my review:


Jane May’s new book Hooked is a fun and imaginative tale that was inspired by the Grimms’ fairy tale, The Fisherman and his Wife. May’s previous book Doggy Style was narrated by a dog and we find her unusual but fun style repeated in this book with a talking fish.

Clarence Woods, Woody to his friends, works at the Trade Winds Yacht Club in Miami. He’s the assistant dock master and he caters to all the rich people at the club. Woody isn’t wealthy like the club members but he’s happy with his simple life. When he meets a Romanian waitress named Madalina Dragoi at Trade Winds, he starts to wonder if he really is that good of a catch. After all Madalina likes Todd Hollingshead who is extremely wealthy.

While out on a boat with a wealthy club member, Woody catches a huge 40 pound fish named Raymond Prince. The fish begs Woody not to kill him and will grant him wishes if he sets him free. Woody isn’t into materialistic things but Madalina is. So after a couple granted wishes, Woody’s new found wealth wins him the girl. Unfortunately nothing is enough for Madalina. She finds out about the talking fish who grants wishes, and demands more and more from Woody.

What will happen to Woody and Madalina? Will their greed catch up to them? Will Woody and Madalina fall in love and get married or will her constant need for wealth come between them? Who is this talking fish who grants extravagant wishes? Will all these wishes backfire and ruin the couples’ lives?

HOOKED is a fun read that I read in two sittings. I enjoyed the fairy tale like story but was a little disappointed with the ending. I’m not familiar with the Grimms’ tale, so this might be the same kind of ending and appropriate, but for me I would have liked it to end differently. If you want something you can read and enjoy in one day, then this is the book for you. I did enjoy Jane May’s previous book Doggy Style and I look forward to more books by her.

No comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave a comment so I know you were here!